Saturday, August 29, 2009

New videos and why I like elevators.

As Olivia's personality continues to develop, we're seeing many new expressions and feelings. Some good, some not so good (I would never tell her it's "bad" to feel something, just give her tools to deal with negative emotions. Know what I mean?) Anyway, her friend Caden got her this block set for her birthday. She loves stacking the blocks, but gets very frustrated when she can't get them apart. Example:



Hmmm, probably not a good idea that we're laughing at her! We'll have to work on that in the future...
Another new attitude: being mischievous. She loves to be outside and Michael took her in the backyard today. She doesn't get to go in the backyard too often, because we're still trying to figure out how to keep her from exploring the pond. This is what I found when I joined them:



She knew I would never let her play in the dirt (at least not the dirt in my flower pots!). I love the triumphant lip rolls with every handful of dirt.
As much as it saddens me to see my baby get older, I'm really loving this age. The pure joy she finds in new discovery's and even the little tantrums she's been throwing. Just knowing that we get to help her develop into an adult. What an awesome responsibility.
Oh yes, the elevators. We went to the library yesterday so I could get some knitting books. There's a definite crispness to the air here (well, in the morning and evening anyway!) and it's inspiring me to pick up my knitting again. I wanted to look for some knitting books with patterns, so I can start working on a toboggan for her (or hat, beanie, whatever you call it. Our first year here, I was made fun of for calling a hat a toboggan.) We've been to the library several times for storytelling and getting books, so not a new place for Olivia- EXCEPT this is the first time we've been since she started walking. Miss Independent did not want to be carried or ride in the sling. So while I'm trying to search the card catalog, she's walking as fast as she can, squealing. Now, normally this wouldn't be a problem, but there were lots of shelves and people and I couldn't keep an eye on her and continue my search. I finally had to pick her up (screaming). We needed to go to the 2nd floor, so I set her down and kind of led her to the elevator (no way was I going to try the stairs). The elevator doors closed behind us and she continued to walk back and forth, squealing. That's when I realized I like elevators. A nice, small square space with nothing in it. Perfect for a toddler to roam without getting hurt. I wish we were riding to the 20th floor, but our short ride ended and we were back to me chasing her through the aisles. People put elevators in houses now, right? Hmmmmm. :)

1 comment:

  1. It was interesting for me to see that you love elevators. I avoid them, because as you will soon see (if you haven't already), it has lots of buttons to push (that light up, even!) and the lowest button to reach is the emergency button. Sweet. Or, there's when you kids hops onto the elevator before you've caught up, and the doors close, and off they go. I'd stick with the dirt in the flower pots :) But that's just me. And no - I don't get it about saying it's bad to feel something. We'll chat later :)

    ReplyDelete